|News & Events
Markham's Clean Air Hybrid Bus by
FIBA Canning Inc.: winner of the 1998
Ministry of the Environment Award in Excellence: New Technology
It can run on either CNG
or LNG and uses the Cumulo Regenerative Brake Energy System. It in turn provides us with
an equivalent 9 miles per imperial gallon in dense traffic.
- Tare weight: 21,400 pounds
- 400 mile range
In Service and Collecting
fares since 1996, it:
- Reduces energy consumption utilizing BTU measurement
of at least 50%.
- Reduces lubricants and filters by at least 90%.
- Virtually eliminates toxic emissions to the ambient
- Virtually eliminates
carcinogenic Particulate Matter emissions.
- Reduces brake system wear by at least 80%.
- Reduces engine wear by at least 75%.
- The first bus in the world (to our knowledge) to use a
natural gas powered Webasto engine/ cabin heater rather than a conventional oil powered
one, helping to reduce deadly Particulate Matter emissions to an undetectable level.
- Reduces PM emissions due to tire wear by at least 20%.
- Reduces the cost of energy (in Ontario) by 70%
relative to diesel fuel.
- Reduces CO2 damage to the environment by
- Uses Wide Base tires on its rear axles for enhanced
mileage and safety.
This vehicle was made possible with the support of:
Natural Resources Canada